Half way through a busy week – whew!
B & K had their 12 mo NICU assessment yesterday (even though they aren’t quite 12 mo corrected). As expected Kendyll continued to score within the range for her corrected & actual age. Bennett has continued to drop lower, but we were prepared for that (and of course he is scheduled to start some fun therapy later this month). I’m a little torn on his progress . . . even Kathy – the therapist who has worked with us since they were in the NICU – made note of B-man’s laid back attitude. How can you teach / motivate a kid who doesn’t have any desire to use his legs and start to crawl? He is perfectly content to just sit and play away with whatever toys are around him. I have to hope that the light bulb will just click with him sooner than later (as it did when we thought he would never learn to eat from a bottle and would spend the rest of his life as a resident of the NICU). Plus I’m a little skeptical of the assessment overall – it is really hard to judge a child’s behavior and what they are up to when you only spend an hour observing them and they are in a foreign environment (oh and during naptime because it is impossible to get into this place at a decent time). But I digress . . .
In other news Kendy is getting closer & closer to walking. Miss Thing is super fast at crawling, super strong at pulling up on anything, is trying to get to a standing position by holding on to nothing (it is really funny to see her stick her butt up in the air, get her legs straight below her and then not be able to figure out how to get her hands up) and she is barely holding on to things when she is standing (i.e. only holding on with one hand or a few fingers). She is also cruising all over the place. She has also become the champion sippy cup drinker. Any kind – handles / no handles, etc. She is totally fine with the milk or juice and at any temp. Woo-hoo!
Bennett has been an eating champ lately. For the past three nights he’s finished his bedtime milk (usually 6oz) and then proceeded to drink up his sister’s left-overs. He also downed 1 ½ apple cinnamon waffles for dinner last night (his FAVORITE meal) and had pudding and puffs on top of that. Over the weekend we ate Korean BBQ (as Tim put it his parents used to think that they were exposing him to “exotic” meals by taking him to Taco Bell – quite a difference, huh?). Both B&K enjoyed some rice, bulgogi and a variety of other items that come on the side. On Sunday at the Triple A b-day party they had penne mac & cheese and some chicken marsala. “mmmmmm” as Bennett would say.
I took a few pics of the living room / play room conversion and I’ll try get those up tomorrow.
Hey Sarabeara! I wanted to say, the feelings you have about B-money's evaluation are the exact same that I had about the girls' evaluations. We started PT at 11m (no adjusted ages). Molly started doing this side-winder butt scoot thing before she even had her therapy. When it was her turn, she decided she wasn't going to do anything- my babies don't perform on command! She started crawling on her own at about 13m and was walking at 16m. Lilly crawled at 14 or 15m, and walked at 17m. Twins do things when they feel like it- and who wants to get up and crawl around when sissy is right here, my toys are here, and people pick me up? If you want to email me, and talk more about the eval and it's... accuracy? I guess, do it to it.
ReplyDeleteKisses for B&K
Wendy
Hi Sara! Just wanted to let you know that Lily is the same way as B. While Abby is ALL OVER the place (crawled up an entire flight of stairs tonight and tried to take a flying leap from her toddler chair to on top of the jumperoo - I kid you not!!!), Lily is so chill and content to just play with whatever is around. It took her almost 2 months to start crawling after Abby did. Still 90% of the time when you plop her on the floor and walk away, she'll be in the same spot or general area when you come back. That's why she usually comes in first from the car and out last =).
ReplyDeleteAnyhoo - wanted to let you know. Sounds like they are doing great!!!
I do think its frustrating for evals to take place on someone else's schedule and not in your own environment. I know my girls act totally different at home than they do anywhere else, so how is it possible to get a good eval? sorry, it's so frustrating. I would be too. I think it's just so hard for multiples to do things on their "own" time because they are constantly compared to their siblings. I always have to remind myself of this. :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe Bennet is eating so well because he is building up the muscle and energy to start some major mobilization attempts!!
ReplyDeleteBrody was the same way as Bennett and then all of a sudden...bam! He picked up the crawling thing and now I think he'll walk before Aidan. I'm a true believe that a child will do something when they are ready. It won't be long now I'm sure!
ReplyDelete