Monday, May 11, 2009

And so it begins . . .

Operation Crib Recall is underway. I received all of the paperwork last week and we dismantled the cribs yesterday. It actually only took about 30 mins -- I popped in a Baby Crack DVD for B&K to watch and Tim & I were finished demolishing the cribs just as the DVD was wrapping up (I am told putting the darn things together took a bit more time . . . I wouldn't know because I was in bedrest hell at the time).

I used to be a really sentimental person back in my school days. And I will admit I felt a little twinge of sadness as we took the cribs apart (like when B&K woke up from their afternoon nap yesterday I realized that would be the last time they slept in those cribs). B&K were playing on the floor in their room while I was removing the bumpers, sheets, mattresses and skirts and they both had this look of "what the eff are you doing, Mom?!?", but thankfully they got over that quickly. After all of the necessary bolts & brackets were in our recall packet and the other wood pieces moved to the garage (um yeah, how the hell are we supposed to dispose of this crappy stuff now??), I set off to assemble the pack-n-plays that will be their cribs for the next few weeks. I went out and purchased new, cushy mattress pads for the PNPs and (THANKFULLY) B&K slept just fine in them last night. Knock on a big fat piece of wood for me right now, will ya? The room looks so empty and bare now. :(

B&K's room before (like WAY before they came home):





B&K's room now:




So the sentimentality is gone now. We're actually excited about shopping for furniture and think this may be a blessing in disguise. You see, while the former cribs were convertible, we were a little lax on purchasing the extra pieces needed to actually make the cribs into anything other than a crib (read: we never bought the rails). And apparently a LOT of people own these crappy cribs because when we went to order the rails late last year we discovered that they are so back-ordered at BRU that we might have never had the chance to actually purchase them. So now we'll not only get the opportunity to select new cribs (that hopefully won't harm our children OR get recalled) AND we can purchase anything additional needed at the same time so that these things can actually grow with B&K. And as I mentioned before, I am going to learn a lesson from my friend Sarah and not purchase another Jardine crib this time (her son's crib was recalled last year and they purchased another Jardine crib . . . which has been recalled with this latest round. Yuck!).

This is the crib we are leaning towards (DaVinci Emily in Ebony):



Hopefully, if all goes as planned, once I send out the packages today (2nd day air) we will receive our vouchers in 7 - 10 business days. Which means we will either be able to order them right before we leave for vacation or as soon as we come back (or even while we are on vacation and have them waiting for us). I know I'm probably smoking crack at this thought, but a girl can dream, right?? I will keep you all posted as this fun time progresses!

5 comments:

  1. That is just so frustrating! I'm glad you've found something you like that isn't a Jardine. I can't imagine they would stay in business very much longer with all these recalls....

    ReplyDelete
  2. PnPs...sort of like camping. Plus, way more fun to chew on.

    Good luck, let us know if you need DH's truck.

    I guess I need to think about ordering those darn rails, maybe we'll get them by the time the boys graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, what an undertaking! If Tim is anything like Jeff, I'm sure there were some grumbles and a few choice words while disassembling the cribs. Have fun crib shopping! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you had a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah - that sounds like SUCH a pain!!! Just wanted to let you know we have the DaVinci Emily cribs (in Cherry) and have had no issues at all with them. They are really nice. The only bad thing is the finish knicks very easily (esp when they chew on the rails like caged animals), but I think that's normal for most dark woods. Good luck!

    PS - I haven't even looked into rails or extra equipment either for toddler beds. I hope it's not too late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this crib and love it!!

    ReplyDelete