Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 in a nutshell

I've seen this questionnaire floating around a few other blogs. I thought I'd write a deep retrospective of the year, but with the colds I'll take the easy road and just use this:

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth to two babies at one time, duh!


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn’t really make any for 2008. But I plan to set a couple goals for 2009.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Do I count? Then yes.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
There were many losses, but thankfully no one I was really close to.

5. What countries did you visit?
Sadly, I did not leave the US in 2008. But hopefully I’ll break away in 2009.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Some “me” time. And more will power to stick to my diet & exercise.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
2.13.08 – we gained two new tax deductions.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping two babies alive.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting back in shape (oh who am I kidding – not getting in shape in general!).

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing other than recovery from bedrest & c-section.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Granite countertops. (glorious!)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hmm, I’ll nominate Tim. He has become quite a good daddy.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Can I nominate Tim again? Just kidding, can’t really think of anyone for this question.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Bennett & Kendyll (in the form of medical bills, pampers, Similac, baby gap, gear, etc.)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My gift certificate for a massage for Xmas – I cannot wait to use it!!

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
“Sexy Can I” by Ray J. Hey – no judgment!!! I have a funny story about Ray J from a few years ago . . . this coupled with the fact that our former nanny had this as her ring tone and I changed the lyrics and sang this song to Kendyll is why it will remind me of 2008.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Technically thinner, but feel fatter
c) richer or poorer? Even, I think

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eat

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With family, but sick. Better than last year, though, which was with family, but on bedrest.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes, with B&K

22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, with LOST a close 2nd.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No – hating people is bad (wait, didn't I say in an earlier post that I hate people?)!

24. What was the best book you read?
I didn’t get to read like I normally do on vacation this year, but Tim gave me a couple of books for Xmas so hopefully I can catch up!

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That B&K like my singing. No really -- they do!!

26. What did you want and get?
The granite countertops. If you had told me this time last year I’d have infant twins AND had gotten my countertops I would have told you that you were nuts!

27. What did you want and not get?
To win the lottery.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Um yeah, didn’t really see many films this year. We did just watch "Dark Knight" and the new Narnia movie and they were both pretty good.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 33. Tim brought home a red velvet ice cream cake from Coldstone Creamery and invited our friend Jodi over to celebrate. It was a small gesture, but very lovely.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More sleep. Seriously though, it was a pretty good year.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Black, brown & bland.

32. What kept you sane?
Having a husband who’s sense of humor is as sick (if not sicker) than mine.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Can’t think of anyone . . . how sad!

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election in general – it was fun to watch the results come in.

35. Who did you miss?
I miss all our friends all over the place.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I gotta give a shout out to my new multiple mommy friends. I don’t know what I’d do without you --- especially Alicia, Marie and Debbie (although I knew you before, I know you so much better now!) as well as all of the support I’ve found through my online MoM friends.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Don’t take your blessings for granted.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
And I feel fine".

Let me explain . . . R.E.M. is my favorite band of all time (little self disclosure here . .. I've actually been a member of their fan club!). I thought for sure that my life was over once I had kids. But it turns out it isn't over -- just different -- and I feel fine about that.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, that was a lot of work...but I loved reading all about your 2008! And thanks for my shout out! You know I feel the same about you right?!. Seriously, what would I do without you? I also love your quoted song lyric. It's so true and hopefully people understand it in the way you mean. Your life is SO different than expected, yet still so great! At least that's how I'm taking it.:) Here's to a great 2009...now bring on the MoM's night out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I should clarify...that was a lot of work FOR YOU to write all of that out....not for me reading it. hehe I just re-read my comment and it sounded the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year from us to you guys and much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete