Tuesday, August 12, 2008

J & K + 8

As I've mentioned before, we get some ridiculous comments & questions when we go out in public with B & K ("are they twins?"). Lately the natural progression of questions leads to a question on whether we watch the TLC show "Jon & Kate plus Eight". My response used to be that we do indeed watch that show, if nothing else to make our lives seem a little more calm / less nuts / normal. But lately I really can't watch that show much. And it wasn't until I was reading this blog entry that I really got why I've stopped watching that show (and thanks to a fellow local MoM for pointing me in the direction of this site . . . please go check out her blog -- her boys are a ADORABLE!!).

I always thought it was a bit odd that these people let cameras into their homes to tape their every moment . . .but then I watch it, so who am I to judge? I always found Kate to be annoying and a bit of a b!tch, Jon to be a little wimpy and their kids to be adorable but absolutely out of control. Again, it helped me to think our lives with just two would be a walk in the park. I felt a little uneasy about the money they probably make for allowing TLC into their home and I always thought their product placements and "free" procedures were a little over the top (I mean what MoM wouldn't want a tummy tuck and possible boob job??). But the last straw to me was the episode where Jon flew across the country to get hair plugs. Initially I was just put off by the whole idea that he thought he needed them in the first place -- nevermind the fact that I'm sure he got them for free, they paid for his flight and that he probably felt like he needed them because he is a big "celebrity" now. And Kate really pushing him to do it was over the top (come on, we all know she is probably the one who even gave him the idea in the first place).

But even more upsetting (to me -- as it was to the person who wrote the blog entry) is that that they flew across the country for such a vain thing while their little children were really sick. I mean I'm still a pretty new at this parent thing and my two have only been sick once, but I think I would have a really hard time leaving them for a MAJOR surgery while they were sick, let alone to go have some plugs put in. Ugh . . . I just don't get it.

So I know this post probably seems totally random, but I was asked this question AGAIN today and I just felt the need to share my opinions. Because I certainly didn't go into this depth with the person who asked the question . . . my new polite answer is "No, I don't really watch that show anymore".

No comments:

Post a Comment