Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dam Ice!! (and room update)

Ugh. Between sickness, two car accidents (mine worse than Tim's) and couple other random things, 2010 isn't off to a super hot start. Add to it that we learned this week we have not one but TWO fricken ice dams on our house. Water was gushing into our master bedroom on Wednesday and leaking through to our kitchen. Water in the walls, coloring our granite, coming through the window and soaking our carpet. Ugh. After a dramatic effort by me & Tim (and later Tim & his dad) we were able to break up some of the ice in and hanging from our gutters the dripping seemed to stop. Then on Thursday we discovered a similar situation in our master closet. Water all over our clothes, shoes and again soaking the carpet. Yuck! Tim has pulled up the carpet in both areas and we've had a 40 degree day today which has helped melt some stuff. Needless to say, we have an insurance adjuster coming out on Tuesday. And he says he's been REALLY busy with similar claims in our area. Have I mentioned lately that I hate winter?!? As my friend Christy asked me this week -- yes, it is times like this that I really miss Huntington Beach, CA!

To help ease that drama, we've been blessed with visits from friends bearing gifts for B&K's birthday this weekend. Totally unexpected, but so nice nonetheless! Yesterday Lauren & her husband came by to say "hi" and brought B&K two adorable retro FP toys. They haven't put them down. And today our good friends, the Thornhills, came over to play for a bit and they brought some goodies, too! This on top of all the loot B&K scored last week is putting them in new toy overload! It helps us to get through the rough winter days, though (see post snow post from earlier this month). :)

I mentioned a while back that I've done a little updating to B&K's room. We aren't quite ready to move them to big kid beds (thanks to sleep sacks they haven't really tied to escape. Yet.). And when we do the big transition we plan to move them to their own rooms. I'm betting we'll probably do this sometime after our vacation this spring (because I don't want to start the whole potty training nightmare until they are in big beds). Ugh, that reminds me of another transition we're starting to look into, too . . . preschool. But I'll save that for another post. Anyhoo, we've "refreshed" B&K's room with a new tree/owl/bird theme. Fitting since when you look out their room it is like they are in a tree house with the two GIANT trees in our front yard right outside their room. Fun! I found B's stuff at Target (including most of the wall decals) and K's stuff came from PBK, but I actually bought them on ebay. Enjoy the pics!



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5 comments:

  1. Their room turned out GREAT! I love all of the decorations on the walls and how well it all goes together...even with different bedding. Fabulous work!

    Good luck with all your ice issues. Spring is *almost* right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room is soooo cute! Happy birthday to B&K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how the room turned out. Who knew owls could be so cute?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's darling! you combined the two themes perfectly! i love the built ins!

    ReplyDelete