Monday, July 27, 2009

Transformation

I'm working on a new lay-out / header. Please bare with me . . . it make take a few days to decide on what I like. :)

In other transformational news, we unloaded some furniture this weekend and have fully converted the "family room" into the "play room" (I LOVE Craigslist!!!!!!!). On the one hand it is bittersweet, like so many other things we have removed / sold / donated from our lives. We had taken MANY a picture of B&K on that couch. We bought the couch to go in the family room before we even were officially in the house. We saw it in the store and went with it -- hoping it would actually fit in the space (and yes of course, it was a wicked deal!). It was a super duper comfy couch, too -- by far the best "nap couch" I've ever owned!!

But in a LOT of other ways selling that couch is very therapeutic for me. It was a reminder of very, very difficult days. If I could have, I would have burned that couch in all honesty. In the birth of this blog I was trapped on bedrest in my house. In the dead of winter. Confined mainly to the family room as I was only allowed to go down and then up the stairs in my home once a day. While I spent hours watching HGTV (and a little "The Price is Right") I literally redecorated the entire first floor of our home in my mind. Over and over and over again. And with an impending - most likely - premature birth and two additional headcounts to our family I never in a million years thought we'd actually carry through on these projects. But low & behold we have gone above & beyond all of the projects I could have dreamed:

- we painted the kitchen from a sunny, cheery, make-you-wanna-puke yellow to a nice neutral mocha.
- we replaced the horrid white laminent counter-tops (thank GOD for the magic eraser) with beautiful granite (and of course we scored a deal there, too!).
- we lightened the family room by painting the really, really dark knotty wood pine paneling a light cream / mocha color with crisp glossy white trim. Fabulous!
- once B&K gained more toys & mobility we quickly realized the value of an actual playroom. And so the family room became the playroom by moving the TV over the fireplace. This gave B&K room to play (and be quarantined) and it gave us an excuse to use our beautiful and rarely used living room.
- earlier this year we sold Tim's butter cream colored leather rocking chair. It, too, provided me some reprieve from bedrest (an hour treat each day!) and also a cute backdrop for some B&K pictures. But we didn't have another place for it in our home and we needed to make room for more baby crap. So we listed it on Craigslist (again -- love it!).
- and lastly saying goodbye to the couch. We had kept it as a place for us to sit while we hung out with B&K in their new digs, but we found that we mainly sat on the floor. It was a LARGE couch and it was about three days away from being a catapult for K to get over the gate (OK not quite yet, but soon enough I'm sure).

So there you have it. The last of my bedrest reminders are gone. Aside from moving into a new home (which we still may do -- ha!) I think I can finally move on. Whew!

2 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful house. I assumed that most things were done before you moved in. I admire your taste and envy your follow through.

    Take Care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is useless without pictures...

    :P
    I like the black and white too, that looks cool.

    ReplyDelete