Monday, November 10, 2008

Life & Death

We had a nice low-key weekend. Tim flew home Friday night and then headed out with a friend to watch his high school football team, the Lepards, play in the state play-offs. It was raining (hard & sideways), but the Leps won. They play again Friday night -- it is pretty exciting because this is the 2nd year in a row they've made it this far in the playoffs and they have a "rematch" this week. Fun times. Saturday we watched a LOT of football as a family . . . happy for OSU fans, sad (and frustrated) as ND fans. Sigh. Sunday was pretty much the same. Actually, we declared it "comfy clothes" day and all wore our sweat pants all day. Ahhhh. We watched a lot of football yesterday, too. Sad as Steelers fans (or at least me & Kendyll are . . . I have been told Bennett is a Browns fan). And speaking of the Browns, how exciting that Brady Quinn FINALLY got to play Thursday night. Last year I won "wife of the year" award because I bought Tim a Quinn jersey for our anniversary (it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would). I rock!!

We all have busy weeks and then another busy (but fun) weekend planned. No new pictures tonight, but stay tuned. I'll try to get some up this week and we all have B&K's 9 mo birthday to look forward to!!

Not much new on the B&K front. Kendyll is finally getting close to sitting unassisted. We've been working with Bennett to try to strengthen his core and he is getting better, but is still a skinny little white dude. They both love to "sing" all of a sudden. I noticed it last week when we were driving in the car -- they hum, make noise and squeal along to the songs (and of course they aren't "kids" songs . . . we listen to regular old alt rock & rap). I'm just waiting for Bennett to sing some Tupac or Biggie at his first school recital. :-)

In other news, it has been a really sad week of sorts. Have you ever noticed that deaths (esp. with famous people) seem to happen in threes? I feel like that has happened to me over the past two weeks. A friend from college, "Beeper" Dave, passed away on 10/30 at the age of 41(we called him such because back then he was the only person we knew to carry a pager -- and it wasn't that long ago!!). He was a friend of one of my roommates and a super sweet "older" guy; earlier this year he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and quickly lost his battle. Dave and his wife Polly adopted three young boys and I cannot imagine what she is going through now. And then my mom's aunt passed away last week. Lastly, on Friday a local newscaster, Heather Pick, lost her long battle with breast cancer. So okay, this last one I didn't personally know, but I felt like I knew her (as did many people in Columbus). I watched her every day when I was on bedrest -- first in the morning & then at noon. I noticed that she was wearing a wig and one day in my boredom I did a search about her. I was shocked to learn that she was battling breast cancer and that she had been diagnosed in 1999 at the age of 29. She beat the disease once, but it returned again in 2004. She was 38 and the mother of two little children -- her daughter is 7 and her son is 4. They kept replaying images of her over & over again on the news on Friday and by the time Tim came home from the game I could not watch it again. So sad. She was a true fighter and I guess we can all take a little inspiration from that.

OK, enough lamenting. Go hug & kiss your loved ones. I gotta run -- I promise new pictures soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment