Wednesday, February 23, 2011

48 hours

{I had the title of this post - and the content - all thought up in my head and ready to type out on Monday.  As you can see, it is now Wednesday.  So just go with it.  Please.  It has been one of those weeks}.

We have had a sickie - scary - not fun - worst colds we've ever had sort of 48 hours.  It started on Friday with a cough from B-man.  Saturday he had a slight fever (never more than 100 any time I checked it ) and K started coughing too. We took them to a movie because we had been promising it all week {Gnomeo and Juliet, just in case you are wondering}.  It was an a.m. movie, there was no one there and they weren't that bad yet. They both took OK naps and then were fine in the afternoon. We were having friends over for dinner, so Tim was in the kitchen prepping and I was setting the dinner table. All of a sudden K comes into the kitchen to say B knocked over this toy (that he LOVES) and when we went in to see what was going on he was laying on the floor, unresponsive, moaning. Pretty scary!  I called 911 while Tim was with him (which by the way took a while because we only have cell phones and I had to be connected to 3 different dispatchers before we finally got through to our community. I now have their direct # in my cell phone because we haven't had a home phone line in 7 years!!). By the time they arrived at our house, B was out of it and crying hysterically b/c he was scared. He threw up, which made him more scared. But we decided not to transport him anywhere -- we're pretty sure he had a febrile seizure (even though his temp the last time I checked it was 99 - 100, I understand now that temps can spike at any time and that's what triggers it).

Saturday night he was OK and when B&K woke up on Sunday they were in pretty good moods. Tim decided to go ahead with his weekly work trip to Turkey. K only took a 30 min nap (on top of getting up for the day at 5) so she was a hot mess. Nana & Papa came over for dinner and B&K wouldn't eat a thing. We should have taken them to urgent care then, but I kept thinking we could wait until Monday morning to get into the pedi. Around 8:30 B woke up hysterically crying (like he did after his episode on Sat.) and I couldn't get him to calm down and he throws up green junk ALL over the place. Fun times.  A quick call to Nana & Papa for reinforcements landed us at the Urgent Care at Children's hospital just before it closed at 11pm. The nurses were betting they had pneumonia based on their heartrates and blood pressure. They both had temps around 103.  But their lungs were clear and they *just* have ear infections.  {which is fortunate . . . poor Ava went to the pedi last week with pneumonia in both lungs and "the worst double ear infection" her pedi had ever seen!}.

Unfortunately this week has been L-O-N-G.  Shortly after they went BACK to bed Sunday night, we all ended up camping put in B's bed (yep, Bennett, Kendyll and I) because I didn't trust us all sleeping in my bed without rails.  I think we maybe got 4 hours sleep total.  Monday naps were crap and that night it was another camp over event -- first in B's room and then I resorted to putting up peapod tents in my room so I could try to get some sleep in my own bed (because my back was killing me).  Last night they went to bed early and Bennett slept all night without a peep.  Kendyll woke up at 4, but I consider that a success (she is about a day behind him with this bug, so she still isn't feeling herself and is still fighting a fever).  The dog, however, had me up at 12:30 last night puking all over my bedroom.  Yep, it is one of those weeks that I just can't win. 

So I'm exhausted and trying to OD on cafeine and vitamins in the hope I don't get sick from being run down.  Tim will be home on Friday and he has promised me I can sleep all I want on Saturday.  That is what is getting me through at this point. :)

Lastly, even through all of this drama and super fun (not!), it brings to mind that in the grand scheme of things we're pretty lucky.  You may remember me writing about my friend Brook and her Sweet Girlies, Sydney & Carynne.  Yesterday and today marks  two years since they lost their brave fight with SMA.  B&K and I wore pink in their memory.  (thanks to Ashley for snapping the pic!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you'd like to learn more about SMA or donate to find a cure, please click the link below. 
http://www.fsma.org/Fundraising/WaysToGive/

No comments:

Post a Comment