I have mentioned here more than a few times that Kendyll can be a bit of a thief. Ok, that is an understatement. Basically any time Bennett (or me or Tim) picks up something - whatever it is - she immediately struts over, grabs it out of our hands and starts playing with it herself. It is one of her sweet, endearing qualities -- I like to think she just wants to make sure the toy or object is safe before someone else tries to use it. :-) If we are not around, Bennett will often take whatever it is back (and screaming ensues - ironically by both parities involved). Or if I (or Tim) witness the take-down we will grab whatever super-rad-must-have-it-item away from K and give it back to B, listen to K scream at the top of her lungs (something she does quite often and that I need to get on tape) and then hand her something new, all while she is still eyeing whatever B has. Fun times.
Well B-dude has learned a new form of self-defense -- biting. I've seen him lunge after her (and us) a few times with his mouth open, but I foolishly thought that was his way of giving kisses. Ha. Remember my post about a week ago with the cell phones? Yeah, that was our first biting episode. Then one day last week he left HUGE red teeth marks on Kendyll's arm (over what I don't even remember). I tried to snap a picture of it, but miss on-the-go wouldn't sit still long enough for me to snap it (she's too busy trying to grab the camera out of my hands - ha!). Bennett has also bit Tim's finger so hard it broke the skin. Yeah. . . So right now we're in the "no bite" and redirect mode. I'd love any tips if you have them. On the one hand he is just trying to defend something wrong that is happening to him (i.e. stealing) but I don't think the right answer is to put teeth marks on your sister. *sigh*
Alas, It has begun. The one thing I know works can't happen yet. I don't know if you remember when your brother used to bite you or not. But when he did, we would make you bite him back. A couple of times and he got the message. Good luck and let the games begin.
ReplyDeletePapa1
Well, I must tell you the B man takes after his Daddy. He was the world's meanest biter. I had to wait until he was old enough to try to reason with to fix the problem. Unfortunately, I also had to bite him back to finally stop him. You have the huge problem that B man isn't old enough to understand yet. I think your days of adventure have just begun.
ReplyDeleteApparently you missed my post a week or so ago...I still have a lovely brownish-gray bruise on my arm from my wonderful daughter biting me. I feel ya :( But anyway, they all said to tell her no, get her off of me for a few and then tell her "that hurt mommy". Re-direct her attention. Haven't really had many times to try it out. Yet.
ReplyDeleteLOL! with the first two comments -It looks like it runs in the family and apprarently you are just going to have to bit him back! OMG. My twins never bit anyone they would just wrestle it out on the floor with each other. Though they did get bitten a couple of times by other kids. It's the typical borther / sister activity that only gets worst as they get older that you get to look forward to! One minute they love each other and the next they are trying to kill one another. Are you sure Tim didn't take one of Bennett's toys too when you weren't looking which caused that incident with the finger :)
ReplyDeleteBoth my boys bite. Especially when they get sleepy. We pulled out the pacifiers for awhile so that their teeth were busy with other non-living things. We only have a few bad weeks of biting. Maybe B's cutting some more teeth. GL
ReplyDeleteWe've also had biting incidents. They used to roll around and hug each other and then all of a sudden one would bite and the other would scream! Luckily it only lasted a few weeks but every now and then I still see bite marks on one of them that suspiously (or not) looks just like the teeth of the other. I am not sure other than give the stern NO and redirect at his age.
ReplyDelete