Friday, April 4, 2008

Mommy has a new skill . . .

I survived my first full night alone last night. It looked like it was going to start out pretty rough . . . Kendyll was gassy as usual and screaming and Bennett wanted some attention, too. I was able to get them to both to calm down (and actually watch some TV!), but by the next feeding time at 11:00 they were both SCREAMING to be fed. My normal routine alone is this: change Kendyll, stuff a pacifier in her mouth (which she doesn't really take), sit her in her boppy or swing (which she doesn't like), change Bennett (because he DOES NOT like to be dirty) and then sit him in his boppy or swing with a pacifier (which he loves both). I almost always feed Kendyll first for a couple of reasons: a) she is faster and eats like a maniac, b) she SCREAMS & YELLS until you feed her. Bennett will normally be a calm, patient baby -- sometimes even falling back asleep (remember the boy loves to sleep) -- and waits his turn after his sister. There is a big part of me that hates to always make him 2nd, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

As you may recall, the grandpas where here to help out this week, which was GREAT. Unfortunately, the twins somehow fell into a routine where they were both being fed at the same time (I guess the help is a double-edge sword . . . I never really thought they would get so far off the separate schedule). So last night my little routine did not work -- Kendyll was screaming bloody murder to be fed and Bennett was also screaming bloody murder to be fed. I could not bring myself to listen to my poor, sweet boy scream for food so I put Kendyll in her rocker/vibrating chair and Bennett in a swing and I stuck a bottle in both of their mouths. It ended up not being too bad . . . we still had to stop often to burp, but I managed OK. It ended up that the same thing happened again for the 7:00 feeding (I was able to keep them separate in the night feeding), but again it worked out well. Woo-hoo! So the grandpas in town was a double blessing . . . I had help (and sleep) for two days AND I was forced to learn that I can feed both at once . . . this cuts down on so much time!!

I tried to snap a picture of the aftermath last night, but of course my camera needs new batteries. Oh well!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how quickly we adapt, isn't it?! I have been trying a few feedings by myself too where I feed Anna and Ava at the same time like you did with B& K and then if Alexis holds off and doesn't cry, I can feed her after they are finished....this way I don't have to wake Jeff. Alexis has to go by herself because she makes much more of a mess when she eats...big gulper. :)Way to go on the new skill!

    ReplyDelete