Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One Week Old

Tim & I were playing the "one week ago right now we were . . . " game this morning. We can't believe that Bennett & Kendyll are a week old today!

Things are going very well for us. I was released from the hospital on Saturday and have been making a quick recovery. I'm so happy to say that (so far) the c-section has been the easiest part of my whole pregnancy. I NEVER thought I'd say that! :-)

Kendyll and Bennett continue to grow and improve every day. Tim & I have been spending a few hours a day a the NICU with the peanuts and we are able to hold them for a while each day. I have been spending time doing "Kangaroo Care" -- skin-to-skin time with each baby. We have been able to do some of the normal new parental duties -- i.e. changing diapers and "feeding" them through their feeding tubes -- and it helps to make the whole baby experience a little more real. Kendyll still requires a little bit of help with her breathing through small nasal tubes, but the doctors keep decreasing her amounts and do not seemed concerned at all -- some babies just take a little longer to adjust. Both babies are up to eating 1 oz of formula each feeding and we are hopeful that they will be on a few bottle feeds a day by the end of the week. The next step after that is getting rid of all of their IVs & tubes and moving into a big boy & girl bed -- an open crib vs. an isolette. They have each lost a little weight (which is to be expected for any newborn) and are gradually gaining that back. Kendyll is still outweighing her brother, but we're sure Bennett will catch up soon.


Their personalities are already coming out. Although Bennett has a temper when moved (or wet, etc.), otherwise he is a very mellow baby. When we are able to feed him he normally starts out all wide-eyed and curious and before we know it he is fast asleep until the next feeding. Kendyll is keeping up with her diva reputation. The other day when I arrived, the nurse informed me she thought Kendyll was trying to break out to go home. The nurse had given Bennett a bath and a new, clean isolette and Kendyll was jealous so she kept scooting herself down in her isolette because she wanted to be the center of attention! But overall she is a very good baby, too -- I can tell she misses kicking her brother around (Bennett, on the other hand, seems to be enjoying his freedom to stretch out very much!). Everyone keeps asking us who each baby looks like . . . it is still really too hard to tell, but I think that Bennett's face is shaped like mine and Kendyll's is a little more like Tim's. But that is just my two cents . . . I'm sure it will change several times over the next few months. :-)

We don't have any new pictures (other than the snapfish album), but I'll try to snap a few today on their birthday. I've posted a few of my favorites below, though.

Bennett's sweet, quiet face:



Bennett's "old man" face:
Kendyll's sweet face:

Kendyll trying to break out (her feet would stick out when you open her isolette door!):



1 comment: